Sunday, June 26, 2016

Brexit

I have not written anything for 4 years - a blog post, a letter to the Irish Times, anything - apart from immediate social media tripe and photos. I assumed I would leave the political commentary to be written by the professionals rather than part-time finance types like myself. Failure to win a journalistic scholarship and with a determination to move onwards and forward, I had left journalism in the past despite a promising start. The euro crisis had seen a rather anti-climactic resolution and in 2012, we seemed to be in a post-climactic Europe and world. I should have foreseen the migrant crisis but I could not have guessed that a British PM would have gambled its' country's future on internal European disputes.

I moved to the UK a year ago for several reasons - professional, cultural and political. I still despaired for Irish politics when we are so behind in so many ways and I used this despair to claim the moral high ground once I moved. I realised Cameron had called for an EU poll in 2013, but like so many liberal types, I had presumed this would be easily won - the UK's outgoing viewpoint vindicated.

The disconnect between London and the rest of England has never been so pronounced and the fact that I did not know a single Leave voter verifies this. With the polls and Bloomberg vindicating my view that the UK would remain in the EU, I nodded off on Thursday night in good spirits. The feeling upon my waking up was one of shock and horror - I could not believe that the UK had left. I mention the UK but it is clear that 2 of the 4 countries in the UK had left - England and Wales. This fact raises its own constitutional issues but I wish to conclude on the effect Brexit had made on this EU national.

I decided to wait a few days to make this point - overly emotive on the day it happened and not wishing to make a tit of myself. It is now Sunday evening after the result and those emotions remain - feelings of unwelcome, alienation and suspicion.  Just like Article 50 of the Lisbon treaty will set a stopwatch to the UK's EU membership, this vote has set a similar timeframe to EU nationals feeling betrayed by England'S small mindedness. EU members living in England like myself feel betrayed and England's claim to cosmopolitanism will never be real again.

No comments:

Post a Comment